Thursday, October 9, 2014

Keep your eye on the ball!

A few months ago I went to a golf driving range and hit an actual golf ball for the first time in my life. I walked in to learn a few lessons on golf. I walked out with some even more amazing lessons on life.

So I went in and I get all set up and I'm immediately thinking that I am going to be the next golf phenomenon. I just thought I was just going to be great, I thought I was a natural. My goal when I walked in to the place was I wanted to drive/hit the ball 300 yards. That was what my main focus, my mission was to hit the ball 300 yards. (keep in mind Tiger woods and Rory Mcilroy and professional golfers can drive a golf ball 300-400 yards). But what actually happened was that every time I would swing at the ball, I kept missing the ball completely. After a little while of completely embarrassing myself, I humbled myself and  I asked someone next to me for some tips and advice to see what I was doing wrong. He watched my swing, and he told me that the main thing I was doing wrong was while I was swinging before I would even hit the ball, I would lift my head to look up and see how far I hit it, before I even hit it.  I Was focusing on the outcome more than I was focusing on the work or the task at hand. As a result I got no result. I kept swinging and swinging but I kept missing the ball. Because, naturally YOU CANT HIT SOMETHING THAT YOU CANT SEE!

I just walked in for a few lessons on golf, but what I got was so much bigger. That ball represents our goals, and visions and aspirations. We all want them to go as far as we can possibly get them to go. And when we step up to put our dreams or business plans or ideas into motion. We are so focused on the outcome, we are so focused on the success, we are so focused on how much money we are going to make etc that we keep lifting our heads up to check for the outcome and we end up taking our eyes off of the ball. Instead of focusing on the ball and keeping our eyes on the ball or the dream and making sure that we do the work correctly to hit the ball. We pay more attention to how far the ball is going to go then we do actually hitting the ball. We focus on the outcome and not the work that needs to be done to produce the outcome.

I have learned to focus on the task at hand, focus on the work, focus on actually hitting the ball. Don't take your eye off the ball! Don't take your eye off of the task at hand to worry about the outcome, the money, the rewards or success. Don't worry about how far you are hitting the ball.  Keep your eye on the ball! Keep your focus on the work and the task at hand! Focus, keep swinging. Focus on hitting the ball right. When you do, your focus and proper technique will do all of the work for you. Once the technique is down you can confidently hit that ball/your dreams and goals as far as you want to whenever you want to. DOING THE WORK WELL, FOCUSING ON THE TASK AT HAND MUST COME FIRST. RESULTS, SUCCESS, WEALTH, ETC WILL COME AFTER!

THE ONLY PLACE SUCCESS COMES BEFORE WORK IS IN THE DICTIONARY!
-Vince Lombardi

KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE BALL!

MOST IMPORTANTLY KEEP SWINGING!

THE WORLD IS YOURS!

 PEACE!

No comments:

Post a Comment