Wednesday, October 8, 2014

A person is a person!


I was born and raised in Yonkers New York.

When I was a little kid my father MADE me play baseball in a league on one side of Yonkers called COMIS with mostly middle class to wealthy white kids. In this league the kids had their own equipment and gloves and baseballs and all kinds of stuff. It actually cost money to play in this league. He showed me privilege!

On the opposite side of town my father volunteered and coached and MADE me play in a league called PACOY this league with black and latino kids where all kids didn't have stuff like baseball gloves, or baseball bats. I'm sure some of these kids who played in this league, sometimes didn't eat at night. All of the coaches were volunteers and this league was free. He showed me the struggle!

My father was heavily involved in the community. So growing up I was exposed to mayors, politicians, people with drug addictions, business owners, judges, felons, rich people, poor people, accountants, athletes, sanitation workers, etc.

He got people jobs, he bought and passed out turkeys, he started scholarship committees, he helped people!

He told me that I'm not better than anybody, at the same time nobody is better than me! he taught me to never disrespect anyone, but also to never tolerate anyone's disrespect. He told me that a persons value isn't determined by how much money they have or their title.  He told me that all people were worthy of love and respect, not just people with big fancy titles or money or people who can do something for you. He told me to spread love to as many people as I possibly could. He told me to help people whenever I could
. He told me that WE WERE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER!
 
He told me that the overwhelming majority of people in the world are good people! He told me to treat EVERYBODY good! 

The final test of a gentleman is his respect for those who can be of no possible service to him.
-William Lyon Phelps

 

I SINCERELY LOVE AND APPRECIATE YOU ALL

PEACE!

No comments:

Post a Comment